Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Only years, months, and days left until the end of the challenge!

Saturday, January 21, 2006

The 21 Day Plan

I talked about this on Ruthie's post. I learned in my psych class years ago that it takes 21 days to break a habit. A quick little google search found this interesting website with avice on how to implement breaking your habit in 21 days. It was funny but there are also websites selling this technique as well. I dont think you need to buy a program to follow it. I've done it in the past and it has worked. Here is most of the article. The colored are my inserts.

It Takes 21 Days To Break A Bad Habit

To begin with, choose one unhealthy habit you wish to eliminate or change. Or, choose a healthy habit you want to adopt as part of your behavior. If it is a habit to eliminate, you may wish to go "cold turkey" or have a gradual tapering off. Losing Weight!

Now that you have decided which unhealthy habit to eliminate, or new habit to adopt, decide on the date you will begin your behavior change. Give this date a good deal of thought and then write it down. On January 22 2006 I will begin good eating habits and practice self restraint in the evenings.

In order to ensure behavior change, experts agree that it takes a minimum of 21 days to change a behavior. Again, look at the date you are planning on changing your habit. Count ahead 21 days and mark that date down. Now, make a commitment that you will follow your plan for 21 days. February 10, 2006 je

Helpful Suggestions

Your target date has arrived. It is the first day of your 21-day cycle. Here are some helpful suggestions for habit change:

Write down your goal. There is magic in the written word when it applies to you. Experts recommend stating your goal in positive terms, such as "I want to be lean and physically fit," instead of "I've got to get this flabby body out there huffing and puffing." So, begin with writing down, as a positive goal, the habit you will change. I also want to learn self discipline with my body. I want to control my eating not vice versa.

List your reasons for changing or eliminating your habit. Writing it down will force you to think out in specific terms what this habit represents in your life and the meaning you believe your life will hold for you upon changing the habit. This will also help with your commitment toward taking positive action.

I want to change this habit so I can lose weight. So I can be in control of myself. I dont like giving into temptation. I want to be able to not do that. I want to be able to wear the clothes folded away because I can't fit into them. I want to be able to meet people I havent seen in ages and not feel ashamed. Changing this habit will give me self esteem. Pride in myself. Self discipline here will translate into self discipline in other areas.

Find substitute routines. For example, if you are changing eating habits and you have identified a particularly difficult time of the day when eating habits are poor, create an activity, a new routine for that time.

After dinner, after my tea, is when I'll work out. Because that's the time I'm most likely to start eating if I break it up with a work out and a shower that will take away from some of the tempting time. I'll check in on my favorite blogs now instead of earlier in the day. I'll use this time to straighten my hair. I'll keep my hands or body busy.

Talk to yourself. Tell yourself you're making progress. Remind yourself that you are moving closer to your goal.. Talk to yourself throughout the day about how you are going to avoid triggers that can get you off track and make healthy substitutes.

Recruit helpers for support. Explain to them why you are making this change. Ask for their support. Their support may be needed encouragement. As I told Ruthie in her post, my husban is a stick and has self discipline like no other. I love him to peices but he can't understand this struggle for me. You guys are it. You guys are my support and encouragement :).

Be prepared for people who may sabotage your change. Be assertive and tell them what they are doing. This is the hardest part for me. Going out to eat and not eating too. I'll have to try.

Sustaining Motivation

The following are some suggestions to follow each day in order to sustain motivation and determination:

  1. Review your list of reasons for quitting or changing.

  2. Create mental pictures of yourself as having already succeeded with your habit change.

  3. Make affirmations, positive self-statements about your habit change. For example, "I am filled with so much health and vitality now that I exercise four times a week."

  4. Reward yourself. Make up a list of self-rewards. Reward yourself verbally.

  5. Remember to take one day at a time. If you do backslide, don't label yourself as having failed. Get out your list or reasons for quitting or changing and begin again.

Fatigue, boredom, depression, stress can all make it difficult to stick with your program. But having a relapse isn't as important as how you deal with the relapse. If you are so devastated by failure that you call your good intentions into question, that will make habit change harder for you. But, if you allow for an occasional relapse and treat it as nothing more than a slight misstep that teaches you something, then you're on the right track.

Follow the suggestions in this article, adopt the more helpful attitude of evaluating your progress and accepting relapses, and you will find yourself reaching many of your goals. You will have achieved true behavior change.

I dont think that I'll be a stick by February 11th but I'll kick the habit! :)


Comments:
I always check in on this site (Hi Tee!!!) for encouragement. 17 lbs and still going strong.

I wanted to add, a great link is RealAge.com
The RealAge guy has been on Oprah before.

I LOVE the site..tips on staying healthy and staying young through many different ways, food tips, etc... Their quiz is an eye-opener too.

Thanks again for the encouragement!
~Jen
 
thanks for the information, Aisha. :) I'm going to look further into what you've put up!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?