Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Only years, months, and days left until the end of the challenge!

Monday, January 09, 2006

These are not my original thought, but I can sure relate

I have been thinking a lot lately about the story about Jacob and Esau found in Genesis 25:29 - 34. It is the story of how Esau comes home hungry - famished as the NIV words it, and asks Jacob for some of his stew. Jacob sells the stew to him in exchange for [Esau's] birthright. Years ago when I read it I just thought - how weird - why would he sell something so significant for a bowl of lentils? He was famished, but couldn’t he have taken a little time and whipped up something? Where was Rebekah? She and Isaac must have had something to eat in their tent. They were not a poor family. Later I understood it to mean that he thought so little of his birthright that he was willing to trade it for a convenient meal. Still, weird.

I am just like Esau. So often I trade my birthright - my health - for a convenient tempting meal. Every night when I go to bed I have the intention of eating well the next day. I am going to wake up, walk on the treadmill, eat oatmeal (real oatmeal, not the processed packaged type with sugar in it), pack a nutritious lunch, eat some fruit in the afternoon and come home to a vegetable and whole grain laden dinner.

Every morning this is what actually transpires .........


The rest was about her eating habits - but man, I am the same way.


Comments:
Perri - Thanks for posting that! I never thought of the story that way - comparing a birthright to health. We really do just "give it away" every time we eat poorly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?